Wednesday 14 May 2014

Quilting Inspiration on Honeymoon - Part 2

Welcome back to my tour of Europe via "things I saw which made me think of quilting"!

Our third destination was Rome and we beat the queues early one morning at the Vatican Museum.  There was rich pickings in the quilt patterned floor stakes!








Not actually a pattern, but just one of the many examples of painting or sculpture where I was in awe of the handling of the fabric.











This isn't anything to do with quilting - I just thought I should prove I didn't spend my whole time looking at the floors and did take time to appreciate the beautiful art.  This is the School of Athens by Raphael and I have included it because, coincidentally, Athens was the next and final city we visited.


 Still in Rome however, my last quilt block in an unlikely place was in the ceiling of the Pantheon.  Anyone seeing Log Cabins?




And so on to Athens!  Now, I am the only person in the world who likes the movie Summer Holiday.  I've tried to get others on board (ha!) but it hasn't happened.  As my new Mr. knows I love the film so much and really enjoys the process of organising complicated trips, he suggested we travel from London to Athens for our honeymoon.  We decided driving all the way would take too long and be unnecessarily stressful, so instead we took trains and a plane.

This pavement in the market in Athens made me think of quilts...


and I was astounded by the carving of the fabric of the dresses of the Caryatids at the Acropolis Museum.  These are the real statues, now replaced on the hill by copies.



And so we're home!  Our wedding was a five day long celebration (Wedfest) of friends, family, love and happiness.  I have had such a ball over the last couple of months, although spectacularly failed at sewing anything - even the sewing which I was supposed to achieve for the wedding (bunting anyone?)!  I'm looking forward to getting back to the machine.


1 comment:

  1. What an eyeful Jenny!
    Glorious photos, thanks for uploading them all and sharing them with us!

    ReplyDelete