Sunday, 22 September 2013

Ginger Jar Quilt - DONE!

Today was the party for my grandparents' 65th wedding anniversary and I finally gifted the Ginger Jar quilt.  It was finished on Thursday ahead of schedule (thanks to a decision to attempt machine stitched binding for the first time).

Luckily my grandparents have a lovely garden in which to take photographs.  I think this will be my new photo shoot location of choice!

 I quilted straight lines across the patterned area of the quilt and stippled the outside.  I had intended to quilt straight lines in both directions, but I completely ran out of time.  Who would have thought the straight lines would take so long?  The stippling took no time at all.  It was so fun, I think this will be the way all my quilts are done from now on.

For the back, I used the one inch leftover strip from each of the blocks and a couple of large pieces of blue fabric.  I have no idea how the backing square ended up so off centre, but at the point at which I knew about it (and now) I didn't care a jot.  I was so elated the whole thing was together!

I am so happy to have made my first big, proper, put-it-on-the-bed, curl-up-on-the-sofa quilt!

Bring on the next one! Well, after a well earned rest for a few days. My machine and I need a breather from one another.....

EDIT: Linking up with Fresh Sewing Day with my September achievement and the Small Blog Meet at Lily's Quilts!

Lily's Quilts

Lily's Quilts

EDIT: Linking up with Needle and Thread Thursday


Monday, 16 September 2013

Basting the Ginger Jar Quilt

Yesterday I stopped procrastinating and basted the Ginger Jar quilt.  I was concerned about doing it because it was the part of the process I decided had the most potential for something to go wrong.  How do you like that optimism?  

However, I cleared the front room, mopped the floor and jolly well got on with it.  Guess what?  Not a total nightmare!

I managed to get the backing layer pretty smooth, even on uneven floor boards.  This was about 40 minutes work!  

I spray basted the quilt with 505 spray because a) I was not brave enough to try pins and b) I thought it would be really quick.

I really liked spray basting when I made the smaller quilts but I'm not so sure now.  I have said before it felt like cheating, but was indulgently quick for those of us who like instant gratification.  However, I think I will invest in some curvy safety pins and have a go at properly basting next time (not to a deadline).  There was an almighty cloud of fumes hovering around the living room when I was finished and it still took a while to get everything stuck down smoothly.  I also think I would be more confident about pinning now I have had a go at crawling around 80" of quilt and not been completely intimidated.

That said, the finish was super smooth and quilting it has been a dream!  I'm not even a quarter of the way through it, but it is super quick and so nice not to have to worry about puckers and rumpfles.  

The other significant moment yesterday was the debut of the walking foot. 

When I first tried FMQ it took me an hour to attach to foot. Yesterday it took me less than a minute to get this guy up and running.  I LOVE having a clue!

Wednesday, 4 September 2013

Ginger Top - Half Way

I have completed the Scrappy Trip blocks on the Ginger Jar Quilt!  I have sewn half of them together and am planning on getting the other half done ASAP!

I'm not enjoying having them sitting on the floor, but it took a LONG time to work out the positions of the blocks.  I wanted to make sure no fabric was joined to the same fabric in another block, creating a long chain of the same fabric (including two squares of the same fabric) and spoiling the scrappiness of it.

I got there, but it was a complicated undertaking - so the blocks are not moving until they are sewn into position!

I have taken the decision based on the amount of fabric I had that the Scrappy Trip element of the quilt should be 4x4 12" blocks.  I decided there probably wasn't enough fabric to make 6x6 and I don't necessarily want to make it too big for me to handle at this stage.  I'm planning on adding a navy border around these blocks (which will also be good for me in the squaring up stage) to make it slightly bigger.

I do however have lots of blue strips left...there might need to be a matching cushion!

Linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced:

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

UPDATE: And Kelly at Needle and Thread Thursday:

My Quilt Infatuation

And Julie on Thursday Threads at 627Handworks

Thursday Threads

Sunday, 1 September 2013

Ginger Jar Quilt

This weekend I have been making progress on my quilt for my grandparents wedding anniversary.  They have been married for 65 years which is just incredible - there's not a even card for that and I know because I have tried to buy one for weeks now!

My Granny really likes ginger jars and has a lot of blue and white china in her house.  Their bedroom is also blue so it seemed appropriate to make a blue and white quilt. I was delighted to find a fat quarter of white material with birds similar to those in the Willow Pattern in a shop in the Scottish Borders town of Hawick.  What a find!

Collecting the fabrics for the quilt has been really fun.

I decided to make a Scrappy Trip quilt because I have been admiring others' efforts for a while and the excellent tutorial seemed like something even a beginner like me could handle.  I also thought it would be really quick, but it hasn't been so far!  It is starting to take shape though...

Linking up with Lynne at Lily's Quilts for the Small Blog Meet: