Thursday 29 August 2013

BIG Quilt top - DONE!

The day before the Stitch Gathering, I finished the top of the BIG Quilt.  It isn't a complete finish but I got as far as I could before I had to move on to my quilt for my Grandparent's anniversary (sneak peek below).


I like to finish things before moving on to the next thing so I decided the top was a suitable milestone at which to stop and move on to the quilt with a deadline.

I'm a little concerned my ironing style is a bit severe and I have been stretching the fabric.  Perhaps a little tugging doesn't matter over a smaller quilt, and I have thus far managed not to notice my extreme pressing, but I have managed to get a few puckered areas like this:


The only explanation I can come up with is the ironing - any suggestions?  Also, can I sort it out in the quilting?

And as promised, here is a glimpse of this week's occupation....



Linking up with Kelly on Needle and Thread Thursday!




7 comments:

  1. Pretty! Yes, I think you'll be able to sort out that slight lumpiness in the quilting - just be extra careful in those areas as you work through because there's slightly more risk of getting puckers there. As you make more quilts and work with different types of fabric, you'll realise that there are a number of things that can affect how flat you quilt top is - your ironing technique (including whether you iron with steam or dry), the needle you use in your sewing machine, the thread, the tension, the type of fabric (or fabrics) and the piecing (i.e., bias edges are tricky). The good news is once you work out how all these thing affect your sewing you will be able to manage them to get good results no matter what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have suggestion that might help turn it over and iron that seam open. I have done that before and it has helped. Hope it helps you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adrianne's right, that will quilt right out. Don't sweat it. Are you ironing with steam? I turned mine off and that helped solve some of those weird wonky places. I think it looks great! Congratulations on this quilting milestone. Now you're hooked on "big" quilts right?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad to see your big top together! Congratulations! It looks amazing. Yes, that little pucker - not a big deal. Try some of the above suggestions to see if they will help. If ironing your seam open doesn't help, quilting can take care of it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's lovely, love the colour combination, as everyone else has said don't worry about those little puckers they will get lost in the overall quilting

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are both great projects. The gray and blue one for your grand parents is beautiful! Do you press your seams open? I have found that it helps a lot. Less bulk to contend with when quilting is a big benefit also!

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful quilt top! I agree with others. That will be just fine when you quilt it. I also agree that when I have triangles, I tend to iron with a dry iron, or starch- not steam. I've found that I don't get as many distorted places when I do that!

    Thank you so much for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete