Wednesday 11 March 2015

Something New

I've embarked upon one of my crazy deadline projects again, this time involving quilting with triangles.  Oh joy!  I've been working with triangles for my Stitch Gathering quilt, but isosceles. This time, I'm going to make an equilateral triangle quilt.

I have a template.....


.....which I used last year to make my bag for my partner for the Stitch Gathering 2014 (during the blogging hiatus).




So I figured having had a fairly successful and uneventful go on a small project, why not undertake my biggest project to date using the triangle template?

This quilt is special as it is a gift for my husband and, therefore, the first quilt I've made which will actually stay at my house.  So far the only evidence of quilting round these parts has been a trail of stray thread wherever I go.

I chose some stash fabric...


...which I added to with a little (to be revealed) shopping.  There's been a fabric embargo for about a year round here, but I had vouchers for My Bearpaw which I received at Christmas time - yippeee!

I sketched out the layout of the quilt, did some dodgy maths and came the conclusion I needed to cut 540 triangles to make a 90" quilt.  540! Gulp, wish me luck.  What could possibly go wrong?

Linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday, Lorna at Let's Bee Social and Kelly at Needle and Thread Thursday!

Sew Fresh Quilts

14 comments:

  1. That's a lot of triangles! I can feel my eyes crossing just thinking about it... but it will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lot of triangles! I can feel my eyes crossing just thinking about it... but it will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking about a triangle quilt this year... haven't gotten around to doing anything about it yet though. lol Have fun and enjoy making it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo, good luck with your triangles! :D I adore equilateral triangle quilts, and they're honestly not that painful to put together, even in large numbers. Once you get your chain-piecing groove on, they zip together really quickly and nicely. It's going to look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That does seem like a lot of triangles, but you've got this. I'm always amazed at how well those equilateral triangles go together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the teal and the yellow you've pulled. Good luck with all those triangles! And good luck keeping it a secret, if that's your intent! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wowsers you'll be busy then 540! I do like a triangle quilt though so looking forward to seeing this come together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, how pretty! The color is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, that is an enormous undertaking but you will excel! I love the fabrics, the colours and patterns are lovely This quilt is going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE them!! You will be finished before you know it! It does seem like a lot of triangles but once you start sewing, they do go together pretty quickly. :) Can't wait to see it all put together!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have fun with the triangles. I want to make a wall hanging with just green triangles.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely love the fabric choices = can't wait to see it finished. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lots of triangles! But it's going to be amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I think you will love working with equilateral triangles for a quilt. They go together so easily. I love your color palette and fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete